Fran on Holidays last year

Fran on Holidays last year
Vino at Mercatello

Friday, October 3, 2014

LAST DAYS in ATHENS

Athens

Arrived back in the afternoon and met by our kind taxi driver Aristedes. He's a big Greek man with a scraggly pony tail and a very kind attitude. 

Checked in and I have a room with a view. THE view in Athens - of the Acropolis.
My perfect Athens view from my room
Magic view. Up to the roof top  to drink -  the view and the wine. Jill's not feeling too good with her coughing so we didn't stay too long. We headed out for a short walk and a very touristy type dinner. Early night 

THURSDAY

Up at a reasonable time and down to breakfast to find Jill not good at all and  has called the doctor to the hotel. So a slow start and then a little walk around the Plaka. She felt a bit better and we went along the streets towards Parliament to see the changing of the guards. Beautiful day. 
View form our coffee shop

Sadly Jill didn't want to continue and returned to the hotel with Chris, so I went
exploring on my own. I found the upmarket area with the expensive shops and I did
some people looking - not shopping! 

Also found the local department store Aticca. It was a kind of upmarket department store spread over 6 floors. They put the men's clothes on 1 & 2 and the ladies clothes on floors 4 & 5. So different in Australia where womens clothes are much more visible. Tried a few things on but didn't buy! Then made my way, in a round about way, to the Acropolis area and wandered around, had a sandwich and got back to the hotel at 4 to check on Jill. She decided not to go out again. Sad news. 
So up to the roof top I went to drink - both the view and the wine and was joined by Chris. 
The perfect guard!



 Chris and I went out for a last dinner together and had what was probably one of the better dinners - certainly in Athens. 

Off to bed after packing. 
Jill and Chris are leaving at 5.45 am
I'll be still asleep so we said are farewells tonight
It's been a wonderful holiday having the "Wandering Wilsons" along on the holiday adventure. Swimming and island hopping. 

FRIDAY

Up and out and felt strange again by myself. Did more wandering and people watching and went to the jewellery museum. All of Athens is a jewellery museum from what I can see there are sooooo many shops! I had people making me all sort of offers and discounts. I kept saying - after trying things on. I really like it but I'll have to bring my husband back to see it. He has the cash. That usually ensues a further discount. Pity it's not going to happen! 

Picked up again by Aristedes, this time accompany by his wife Maria who became my best friend by the time we had detoured around the city on a little side trip. They provided water and a pastry this time and I was out at the airport in very good time. Worth the money. 

Went to the lounge, which involved practically walking back to Athens and waited for the boarding which was on time. Had a lovely flight with an air hostess who was so trim and beautiful I thought she might be an out of work actress. 

Now sitting in Paris waiting for my flight to Singapore where I will meet up with Narelle , my Sydney school friend. Fun times ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment